Tuesday, April 03, 2007
Consider these facts regarding tuberculosis:
1. Tuberculosis kills 2,000,000 people each year around the world. Tuberculosis is the leading cause of death from a curable infectious disease.
2. The incidence rate is highest among young men.
3. The incidence of tuberculosis in the United States was 4.6/100,000 people in 2006.
4. The incidence of tuberculosis in Haiti was 306/100,000 people. 6,000 Haitians die from tuberculosis each year. Haiti's incidence of tuberculosis rivals Africa, which has the highest incidence in the world.
5. Haiti is 90 minutes (by air) from the richest and most powerful nation in the history of man.
"The history of tuberculosis is one of scientific, medical, and political failure. Although modern short-course treatment for tuberculosis is among the most effective and inexpensive of treatments for life threatening diseases, tuberculosis remains one of the leading causes of morbidity and mortality worldwide."
"Turning the Tide Against Tuberculosis"--Lancet 2006; 367:877-878