Monday, February 07, 2011

Who Failed on Haiti's Recovery?




Photo by John Carroll


Another article from Time.

I wonder if medical NGO's should be banned from Haiti?

Before I put my little black stethescope on another Haitian child's chest, maybe I should tell the child's mother that I am on a guilt trip as a "do-gooder" member of an NGO. Then I could tell the mother to leave the clinic and have the child examined by the "State of Haiti".

And when they ask me about heart surgery for their child, I could just shrug my shoulders and tell them to discuss that with the Ministry of Health in Haiti. (The Ministry building crumbled during the earthquake... but maybe someone would be sitting outside the rubble in a white plastic chair who could listen.)

The Haitian mothers I know wouldn't be wildly happy with my advice.

No comments: